Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Trade with "It's like having my own Card Shop"

A couple weeks ago Daniel posted this sweet Ernie Banks card on his blog, It's like having my own Card Shop:

I left him a comment that I would be interested in adding it to my collection if he would be willing to part with Ernie.  He agreed to my request and I sent him some Diamondbacks, which can be seen here.

I love my Cubs and Daniel tossed in a couple handfuls of some sweet Cub randomness.

Hee Sop Choi!  He was supposed to make everyone forget about Mark Grace.  Um, no.   If memory serves we were able to flip him to the Marlins for Derek Lee.

Antonio Alfonseca.  Nice!  He had the nickname of "El Pulpo," which is Spanish for octopus.  Why?  Well, he's a polydactyl pitcher and what other deserving nickname would you give a pitcher with six fingers on each hand?  I always thought that Alfonseca would be able to throw some filthy breaking pitches with the extra digit, but he pretty much threw just the fastball and he would occasionally mix in a change or a slider.

A shiny Henry Rodriguez.  Henry was a decent signing and provided some pop as a left fielder.  Who can forget the Oh Henry! chocolate bars that infrequently found their way to the playing field after he hit a homer?

 Turk Wendall.  I don't think I own this Turk Wendall card and he's one of my favorite middle relievers!  I loved Turk for all of the superstitious antics.  For example, he wouldn't start pitching an inning until the center fielder waved back to him.  Good stuff!

Shiny Brian McRae.  My camera didn't do this card justice: the entire border is mirror-like.  Topps Chrome is a product that I've never sank any amount of money into, but I really like the shininess. Interest in shiny objects is just one of many characteristics that Gus, my cat, and I share.

Jessie Hollins is a former Peoria Chief that made it to the majors with the Cubs.  Injuries derailed his career, but he could throw some serious smoke when he was healthy.

The above cards are just a small sampling that Daniel sent my way.  Thanks for a great trade!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see those Cubs cards go to a good home! Thanks for the D-Backs cards!

    ReplyDelete