Saturday, January 8, 2022

Game Plan for 2022 and the Joy of a Completed Set

 It was about three weeks ago when I posted about my futile attempts to secure the last card to the 1986 Larry Fritsch Negro League Stars set. I had preferred to trade for a copy, but after a couple weeks of crickets I finally broke down and purchased the final card from Ebay.

Currently, the only set I'm working on building is the Conlon Collection. I haven't scratched a card off my want list for that monster in over two years. So maybe "working on" isn't the right verb-age there.  

I'm not sure what set I should build next, but I would love to try another Negro League set or maybe a HOF player set, similar to Panini Cooperstown back in 2012 and 2013. Maybe Fanatics, who recently bought Topps, will have some new ideas in the works and we'll have something different on the horizon. 

In other news, I've collected Dan Vogelbach cards for eleven years now. I know, right? Time sure does go by fast. For 2022 I've decided to focus on filling in any gaps from the previous years AND only add one base card of the Vogelmonster from each set.  I did a quick calculation and 84% (604/721) of my Vogelbach cards are parallels.  My favorite player has averaged about 11 different unique cards each year. I'm done with parallels... you know, unless it's from 2011-2021. 

I hope everyone's new year is off to a great start! Thanks for reading!

7 comments:

  1. Parallels can be the bane of a player collector's existence...but every once in a while a set does parallels in a way that's fun to collect (for me, Topps Tek and Pacific Prism come to mind).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on completing the Negro League set! I am going to look for the Conlon cards that I have and see if I can help you out with that set.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea of cutting off parallels for a player after a certain year is something I've thought about myself. But since I don't really super collect anyone, I've never had to really do it.

    As for the Conlon set build... I've thought about building a run of the 1991 to 1995 sets as well. I should have done it back when I was hitting up the flea market on a weekly basis, because I always seemed to stumble across them either as sets, packs, or boxes. I looked at your wantlist, but it looks like you have all of the early stuff. If I find any 1993, 1994, or 1995 singles I'll try to help you out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard to believe the Vogelmonster has been around that long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pretty sure I have a stash of extra Conlons around here somewhere, I'll have to see if I can track 'em down. One of my favorite sets - every card is a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Conlon UPDATE - I believe I have just purchased the 1995 set from a seller on Facebook Marketplace. Hopefully this transaction doesn't fall through!

    ReplyDelete