Saturday, July 31, 2021

BWTP Makes Me Take Stock

 Bob Walk The Plank reached out recently and asked if I'd take on some 2021 Cubs. Well, that's kind of a silly question. The answer is, "I'll always take Cub cards!"

As of July 31st, the true question is, "Who are the 2021 Cubs?"

Let's start with the cards of players who qualify as current Cubs. 

Jason Heyward, Kyle Hendricks, Ian Happ, Alec Mills and omnipresent rookie Brailyn Marquez can still be labeled as Cubs. The only big name missing from this group would Willson Contreras. 

Count me as one of the collectors who enjoy team cards. I think Adbert Alzolay has some promise and I'm glad he'll get a full season's worth of innings this year to develop. 

Another Marquez card and two other potential pieces of the future in Christopher Morel and Ed Howard. 

Alright, time for those who have been shipped out. 

Jed Hoyer, the GM & president, tipped his hand about an impending teardown by trading Yu Darvish to the Padres last December.

Like Darvish, Billy Hamilton and Jason Kipnis never suited up for the Cubs in 2021. Austine Romine is currently on the 60-day IL.
Craig Kimbrel was sent to Chicago's southside. 
Javy Baez went to the Big Apple's NL squad. 
Kris Bryant will now be suiting up for the Giants. 
No Anthony Rizzo in this package, which is fine. His inclusion would have probably just prompted me to reach for a box of tissues. 

Thanks for the cards, BWTP!

Sigh. 

I've created a Google Sheet for all those Cub fans who want to keep track of these trades. It provides a great look at exactly who has been shipped out and what the talent return was. 

I'm still waiting to see some figures on what the payroll and projected roster currently looks like for 2022. I'm sure the front office will sign a few free agents over the winter, who they hope will perform well enough to flip at next July's deadline. I'm an invested fan with a curious mind after all. 

Full rebuild mode. Again. Double sigh. 

Thanks for reading and I hope your team took on MLB talent yesterday!

9 comments:

  1. That trade deadline was brutal for Cubbies fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was quite the sell-off, it happened as quickly as when the Cubs rebuild had finally delivered a WS contending product again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Cubs brass should be ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Spirit Halloween image making its way around Twitter is really funny.

    Goof luck with the trade assets you guys got back. I like Alcantara a lot...hope he ends up being special.

    ReplyDelete
  5. if only memes were a thing in the late 1990's i would have expected to see the Spirit Halloween sign up on the HHH Metrodome.

    it surprised me that this went in to full teardown mode so quickly for the cubs - i guess blame those folks who said they would "give anything" for the title in '16?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen a talent dump like that before. I know about the Marlins... but the Cubs were home grown guys. It was painful to see those trade updates and so many of those moves were made in the last 24 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got a package from BWTP this weekend as well! So great to have him back in the blogosphere orbit.

    I knew this Cubs tear-down was coming, and I even encouraged it for most of the year, but it's still so sad to see the roster of my favorite team reduced to a nameless skeleton.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer about the strip-down of the team. It's a shame. I don't like Rizzo in pinstripes, but I guess I like it better than Boston. Nice cards from BWTP.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad they arrived safe and sound. It was fun to hit so many of my old trade partners.

    ReplyDelete