Saturday, April 15, 2017

Blogiversary with some Odds & Ends

It's the sixth anniversary of me starting this blog. It started when the Cubs were bad, really bad, as something to keep me busy as I "Waited 'til Next Year." Recently, the dream of next year was realized and the blog's name changed. Honestly, I never thought that would happen, but it's a change I have accepted with open arms.

Things are busy right now and my cardboard hobby is on the back burner, but I'm happy, healthy, and having fun with my teaching and coaching jobs.

We split a doubleheader last weekend against a pretty good baseball school, Plainfield Central, but it was a long day.
 It started with donuts in the morning for the boys and sleep on the way home. I spent 4.5 hours on a bus that day. Ugh.   For the record, four dozen donuts were devoured in less than a half hour by our varsity and freshmen baseball teams. The boys can eat!
We're currently have a record of 9-5, and our five losses are by a total of 8 combined runs. We have a few guys on the roster who have the talent to play at the next level and the group of guys work pretty hard and are fun to coach.

As the assistant coach, I sometimes wonder if I'm doing enough to earn my keep, and I guess I got an answer the other day.
My varsity coach gifted me a new fungo bat. I'm pretty hard on them as I often swing as hard as I can to challenge the outfielders with deep fly balls.

What caught my eye is Coach had my name added to the bat. Pretty cool!  I wonder how this bat will hold up compared to the cheap ones I've been purchasing at Dick's Sporting Goods.

I bought some new school shoes the other day, but the cats thought the purchase was all about them.
It took about two seconds for Hugo to find the empty shoe bag and claim it as his own. Cats. So predictable.

Why wife returned from a nine day trip, to visit family in South Korea, just a few days ago. (Don't ask me how many frozen pizzas I consumed while she was gone... I stopped counting after four.)
 How about the packaging?  Pretty neat, huh?
 The food itself was just okay... The outside layer kind of melted in your mouth, which would leave a small little chocolate-ish ball to chomp down on.
I shared these with some friends and nobody went back for seconds. It's the thought that counts!

Lastly, since this is mostly a baseball card blog I'll show off a couple of the cards I acquired from a recent Sportlots.com order.
 Kenny Lofton working on his speed with a special parachute device is pretty fun to have captured on a card.
As is Adam Jones getting ready for the post game pie-in-the-face ritual. He is relentless!

Good stuff.

Thanks for stopping by and thanks for reading all these years!

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your 6th blogiversary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Coach! That Fungo is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Anniversary! Great bat and a couple of cool cards. Yeah, cats.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on getting to six years! It's a heck of an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on six years of blogging :). Here's to six more! And best of luck to your team.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your blogsaversary!!
    Here's to many more years of collecting (and blogging when you can).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on the anniversary Tom. Glad your team is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats! And the fungo bat colors almost match your team colors...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy anniversary coach! That bat is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on six years. I love the packaging on those lil asian treats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fungo - always thought the word itself was humorous. It's a great time in life for those young men. They are lucky to have a coach who cares. Thanks for being a blogger too - congrats on the anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete