Sunday, May 11, 2014

Name the Next Raccoon

Over the course of the last couple of weeks the bird feeders in the backyard have been ransacked.  My wife and I love to sit at the dinner table and watch the little peepers fly in and out, but someone or something had been increasing my maintenance schedule of the feeders.  Then one night last week when I was checking to make sure the exterior doors to the house were locked before turning-in I saw a raccoon perched atop the baffle of our shepherd's hook.  

Holy smokes!

This prompted a trip to my parents' to borrow their live trap and the immediate implementation of  Operation Raccoon Removal.

I set up the trap last night at the base of the shepherd's hook and baited it with dry cat food.  (Shhhh... don't tell the cats!)

What were the results this morning?

Jackpot!

 Everyone, meet Ashton!  Ashton, this is the blogosphere!  We're going to name each raccoon much like the meteorologists name hurricanes, but with a celebrity slant to it.
 Hmmm...  there's a little resemblance... both are a little scraggly and have shifty eyes. 

Laura and I took Ashton seven miles north to a nice wooded area with a pond this morning.
 We think Ashton, because of his small size, was part of the litter we saw roaming our neighborhood last fall.  If that's the case, then he'll be joined by another raccoon before too long.

In fact, help us name the next one!  I offered up Britney, but my wife likes Beyoncé. 

If you have a female celebrity name that starts with the letter 'B', then feel free to add it to the comments.  If my wife likes your suggestion more, then we'll use your suggestion AND I'll send a little cardboard love your way. 

Round 2 of Operation Raccoon Removal begins tonight!

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I vote for Barbra, as in Streisand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bjork

    Because of her raccoon album cover

    http://www.freecodesource.com/album-cover/51kBrkVtEEL/Bjork-Medulla.jpg


    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a friend who had three "tamed" raccoons living in his house. He was a rather odd one, and the raccoons didn't have much of a personality either.

    ReplyDelete